Friday, August 21, 2009

5 minutes with... {paper by} forget-me-not

wrapping paper by forget-me-not

What do you do?
I make all sorts of stationery items and the material I like to use is paper!

But not just any paper… the stock that I use for my creations is selected for its minimal environmental impact and includes...

100% Australian recycled paper; handmade paper created from basic raw materials (such as waste cotton fabrics from garment industries) from fair trade co- operatives; and upcycled/re-purposed materials like plastic bags, that otherwise end up in our landfills & waterways.

Part of my craft involves designing with minimal packaging in mind, oh and to keep with the green theme, all pieces are handcrafted in a studio that uses green power.

How did you come up with your business name?
It is reflective of the ethos of my business… a commitment to not forget the earth & the impact we have on it through our living… to remember to make environmentally conscious choices.

Can you please walk us through making one of your products, from conception through completion, in 5 steps?
Tricky :). My creative process differs, depending on the product I am making, but for this exercise I shall select: special event stationery

1. Often my process begins with a random creative burst, however, when creating something for a special event {such as wedding stationery} then it is a more structured process… 1st step involves meeting with the bridal couple to listen to what their needs are, how they would like their day represented, and the budget they would like to work to.

2. Next, I go about sampling 3 or more designs that I think would meet the clients needs, including accessories and ensuring that all stationery is themed well {from invites through to placecards & thank you notes}… they are forwarded on to the couple for approval/feedback.

3. Once a design has been selected, the task of wording begins! Harder than it seems, as etiquette comes into play, and there are often many opinions to be considered. This process can take up to 2 weeks to finalise.

4. Once all the typesetting has been approved, then my work really begins… taking up to a further 4 weeks {depending on the quantity of pieces required, its complexity, and the amount of other jobs I am working on at the same time}. This is when I get nervous & a little bit perfectionist… I want everything you come together “just so” and to be beautiful. I generally break a job down into smaller tasks and set-up a production line… always making 10 units over, just in case extras are required by the couple.

5. When completed, I carefully package up all the wedding stationery and make delivery ~ my favourite part of the process. I love to see the face of the bride when she unwraps the tissue to see her wedding invite for the first time… it’s like it suddenly becomes ‘real’ and it’s really exciting to be a small part of that.

Where can we find you?
Online at Etsy, MadeIt and Cosa Verde
In person, I am regularly at Kirribilli, Mosman & Glenbrook Markets each month, and various other special events – all listed here.

What are you looking forward to showing off at Mountain Makers?
I have a new range of organic handmade wrapping papers coloured using vegetable dyes which *I* love, and am hoping that others love them too!

1 comment: