Tuesday, September 1, 2009

5 minutes with... planettreasures

Who are you & what do you do?
I'm Tess.
I design and make jewellery.

How did you come up with your business name?
My business name is planettreasures. It's been so long I can hardly remember.
15 years ago I started making jewellery and my neighbour was a printer and was hassling me to get a name so he could print some display cards for me.
I settled on 'planettreasures' because i am using materials from the earth to make jewellery. Treasures from the planet.
also I'm a big fan of"the planet" on Radio National with Lucky Oceans

Can you please walk us through making one of your products, from conception
through completion, in 5 steps?

1.My creations start with beads.
which involves actually going shopping for them.
I love the whole looking at beads and feeling them and selecting them in person.
I love beautiful, special and unusual beads.

2. I take them home and play with them.
I might store them in drawers and boxes with other beads.
Or just leave them on my desk.

3. when I decide to make something I usually end up making something different from what I had planned.
I might start off with a colour idea and then I drag beads out and arrange them on my table or my bead board, until I'm happy with the result.

4. then I string them or thread them or hang them depending if it is a necklace bracelet earring brooch.

5. Work out the cost. label and it's done.

Where can we find you?
planettreasures.etsy.com
planettreasures.blogspot.com

The Nook, Leura
Glenbrook Market

What are you looking forward to showing off at Mountain Makers?
Earrings and lots of earrings! 'cus I love making earrings.
Also bright and bold necklaces, bracelets featuring Venetian glass, czech glass and handmade glass beads combined with gemstones and freshwater pearls.and some more dainty pieces that are hand woven using tiny glass beads.


No comments:

Post a Comment