Thursday, August 27, 2009

5 minutes with... sami bop

Sami Bop ~ vintage & recycled fabric kids creations

Who are you & what do you do?
My name's Danette. I have been sewing for over 30 years and have created my own children's vintage and recycled fabric range, named Sami Bop which I started in early 2006. I studied fashion design and worked in the industry for quite a while so it was a natural progression for me to be doing this from home when I started my own family. I have been recycling fabrics since I can remember and the fabrics I use date from the 1950s onwards so there is large variety of prints and patterns to choose from.

How did you come up with your business name?
Sami Bop was the actual name my son Jasper nicknamed his little sister (Samara) when she was born.

Can you please walk us through making one of your products, from conception through completion, in 5 steps?
1. Starting from a sketch, a prototype, or a combination of ideas and adding or omitting certain details I then draft a pattern.

2. Create a first sample for fit and style.

3. I then grade (or size) the pattern. Generally from a 00 to 5.

4. Then the fun begins with the fabric and print combinations. Pre-shrinking and washing fabrics is an integral part of this process too. I individually make each and every unique item myself, and spend a lot of my time sourcing fabrics and sewing.

Where can we find you?
You can find Sami Bop garments at:www.samibop.etsy.com
The Nook Art and Craft Gallery. Upstairs, 133a The Mall, Leura, NSW.
Glenbrook Market (Glenbrook Infants School, Ross St) 3rd Saturday of the month.
Magpie Market (Lawson Public School, Great Western Hwy, Lawson) 3rd Sunday of the month.
Blue Gum Rotary Market (Faulconbridge Public School, Cnr Grose Rd & Great Western Hwy) 4th Saturday of the month.

What are you looking forward to showing off at Mountain Makers?
I'm really looking forward to presenting my new Sami Bop spring/summer '09 range of dresses, pants, skirts and boys boardshorts at the Mountain Makers exhibition! Hope to see you all there...

No comments:

Post a Comment