Saturday, March 26, 2011

Designer :: Planettreasures

“I have been designing and making jewellery for more than 15 years. I began just making earrings for myself when I couldnt find any I liked. I'd been living in the US for three years and was inspired by the wonderful choice of bead shops and local gemstones from where I lived in Arizona. since then my range has grown to include earrings, necklaces, brooches, bracelets and hatpins featuring glass beads from around the world - from Venice, the Czech republic, Austria and glass artists from Australia and the USA. I incorporate these beads with semi-precious gemstones and freshwater pearls”



Since the last time we spoke you’ve had lots of adventures, including a broken leg and overseas hiking trip. Can you fill us in on that?

I have had lots of adventures! I was in training for a Himalayan trek when I slipped and broke my ankle. This kept me indoors for 8 weeks in which time I did lots of small beadweaving projects and some knitting as well as catching up on movies.
We finally went on a 13 day trek in the beautiful Sikkim region of the Indian Himalayas. It was amazing, exhausting, and enlightening!



Like all the exhibiting artists, you’re a Blue Mountains local. What area are you in and do you love about living here?

I live in the Lower Blue Mountains on the high side of a western facing ridge so we have wonderful views of sunsets over the mountains. My workroom also looks out over the view and it a great space. I know I’m lucky to have a dedicatedworkspace – but I have so many beads – and other bits and pieces – they fill my whole room!

And now for a big one: Where do you see yourself in 5 years time?

In 5 years time I will be travelling around Australia with hubby in a caravan stopping off at all the craft markets along the way. Grey-ish nomads!



What works of yours will we get to see at Mountain Makers this year?

I’ll be bringing my big, bold necklaces and earrings that are great for winter wear. As well as some simpler designs using freshwater pearls or Venetian glass beads.

Discover more about Planettreasures on her blog or visit her online store

No comments:

Post a Comment